Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Tagging Along

Wearing a medical I.D. tag for lupus is a very good idea. I never know when I might become unconscious or unable to respond. My tag will speak for me.

Originally when I was told I had to wear one, I COMPLAINED about it. The last thing I wanted on my wrist was a clunky piece of metal and a steel chain. Plus everyone looking at it and labeling me as “sick.” Now, I’m not really a very “fashion forward” person but I do draw lines. Wearing something that looks like one of those choker chain dog collars was not going to happen! It’s just a pain and ugly to look at. Not to mention the chain rubs and can be quite irritating.

Lauren’s Hope has been my saving grace(www.laurenshope.com)I couldn’t seem to make a bracelet that would stay together for more than a couple weeks. My Lauren’s Hope creation has lasted me over 6 months! Which is saying something because I am rough with my I.D. bracelet. Not on purpose but I guess I just wear and tear things pretty easily.

What to put on the tag is entirely up to you. On mine (and I need to update my tag, again… sigh…) is: my real name, severe allergies and an in case of emergency phone number/ICE. Kind of spaced about putting the whole lupus thing on my tag even though I got it for that purpose. It was a blonde moment! Also, if you have an I.D. and you have more things to put on it than space on the tag, make a wallet card. What to put on a wallet card is also up to you but I have on mine: medications, doctor’s office numbers, and full contact information. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

I have found that in the time I have worn an I.D. it hasn’t really been a very big deal. Many people just think it is a normal bracelet. That’s fine with me! Plus, I am ready for whatever lupus throws at me (well… as far as identification goes anyways.) So, if you don’t have one but should, get one! It never hurts to be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment