Sunday, November 14, 2010

Saying "No"

“Yes” is an easy word to say. People say it all the time. Rarely do I hear “no.” In American culture, the word “no” seems to be shunned upon. Nobody wants to say the word. Not even I. Thanks to lupus, I have learned how to say “no” and not feel guilty about it. I had to, or else I would have dug myself into a hole so many people dig themselves into. Always over-stressed, over-booked and under-rested.

Don’t get me wrong here. The word “yes” should be used and used with love. But I have had to learn to budget my use of “yeses” just like I budget my spoons. A fair amount of the time I have to flat out say “no” to things I really do want to do. Things I would have been able to do if I didn’t have lupus and was a normal teen again.

For as many “no’s” as I say, I think about how well I will use my spoons for all of the “yeses” I have said.

No comments:

Post a Comment