Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A “Sick” Person’s Arsenal

With the help of these “weapons” I keep my “mass destruction” at bay for the most part (lupus or any other type of destruction):

Gloves- A good way to prevent a Raynaud’s attack is to wear gloves. So I adorn my hands with colorful gloves during the more chilling months of the year.

Imodium- Medications don’t always agree. Pretty much always have a couple doses on me. Never know when problems might arise.

A Technicolor Prayer Shawl- Currently curled up in mine as I type. Not only is it comforting, it is also light and warm.

A Smile- Most everything is better with a smile. Even the darkest days. As long as I remembered to brush my teeth that is…

Sunscreen- Nothing is worse than breaking out in rashes after only a few minutes in the sun. Worse than a bad tan job in my opinion. Having protection is key to keeping the rashes at bay.

Concealer- to cover up said rashes above when I forget about protection.

Sweats and Other Baggy Clothing- Sometimes wearing clingy clothing is more than my body can handle. Or my hands are too stiff to mess with the zipper on a pair of jeans anyways. Sweats are perfect for those days.

Toast- Easy on the stomach and good with all the pills. I eat lots of toast.

Fire Extinguisher- It’s amazing what brain fog + unlucky appliance equals. In my case it is generally a fire. Whenever I am foggy and cook, my sister stands guard with the fire extinguisher.

Electric Blanket- Gentle heat is very soothing on achy joints. Plus I don’t have the weight of many quilts on me, which can feel not so great.

Memory Foam Mattress Pad- Helps to quiet the 1 billion achy pressure points on my body when I lay down. Well worth the price at Costco.

Tissues- Meltdowns happen. Some people prefer hankies but Kleenex works just fine for my purposes.

Positive Attitude- No matter how sucky life may be. There’s always a silver lining. No matter how thin it might be. And yes, linings can be pretty thing sometimes. But they are there!

My weapons don’t require bullets. Instead these weapons fight a battle from within. I am waiting for the day of armistice. Until the day it comes, I will have to continue to deploy my arsenal.

I have a question for readers, is there any particular lupus subject matter you would like me to write about in one of my upcoming blog posts? Wishing you all lots of spoons!

No comments:

Post a Comment